How to Call Internationally for Free
December 19, 2011 | Rebtel
Wouldn’t it be great to be able to call internationally for free? Free international calling may not be available through traditional carriers except in high priced packages restricted to specific countries, but fortunately those with friends and family abroad can now stay in touch for free using several different applications.
Making Free International Calls with your PC
Several services exist which allow users to call internationally for free, but there is always a catch.
- EvaPhone allows registered users to make free international calls to dozens of countries, but there are time limits to each call. The time allowed is typically between 10 seconds and 2 minutes, and registration involved giving them a payment method so if you run over they can charge you. You also have to watch a short promotional commercial on your PC before each call.
- Free phone2phone is a similar service, but allows the first call to any number to reach 10 minutes and any subsequent call to the same number is limited to 5 minutes. Users dial an access number local to their area first, then the number of the party they wish to dial. Advertisements must be viewed before each call, but there’s no sign up and no payment source required.
Try it now - First Call Free!
- Skype allows calls to other Skype users all over the world for free, but the free international calls are limited to PC to PC (you can’t call landlines for free or mobile users unless you are both Verizon customers).
- Rebtel lets you put all of your contacts on an east to access list, and shows an icon next to the ones who are also Rebtel customers. You can make international calls for free to their PC or mobile with the click of a mouse!
Making Free International Calls with your Mobile Phone
You can make “free” calls from mobile phones by routing through various services that bypass your carrier, but almost all of them use your data plan to do so and incur minute charges as they would for local calls - so they aren’t strictly “free”.
- Talk-O-Naut combines with Google Voice for a complicated process supposed to allow international calling for free, but occasionally the voice prompt can incorrectly state that the call is connected through Google Voice and is free (as is known to have happened with larger carriers) when in fact it has not connected properly.
- Verizon users who have Skype can call other Verizon users with Skype to make free international calls.
- Rebtel provides apps for Android based phones and iPhone. You can make free international calls to other Rebtel users across all platforms, and only use normal minutes on your voice plan instead of racking up huge charges from your carrier.
Making Free International Calls from your Landline
- Traditional carriers offer various international calling plans. Unless you have a special calling plan that offers free international calls each month, you’ll have to pay international rates for calls from your regular landline.
- Some VoIP services use your ‘landline’ phone and you can get international calling using your regular telephone equipment (such as Vonage), but again, a special plan that includes free international calls is usually required.
- Rebtel’s system allows you to call internationally for free from your regular landline without a special calling plan. When an international number is added to your Rebtel contact list, a number local to you will be created. When you call that number, it connects you to your desired contact. Ask them to hang up and call you back at a number that displays in their caller ID - which will be a number local to them. Then simply stay on the line, and Rebtel instantly connects you, making the call free for both users.
Rebtel is the only company that makes free international calls easy to make and that will work from just about any phone. Stops paying huge fees for making international calls, and free up your cash!
Share this article