Free WiFi Calling with Android? Easy!
June 18, 2012 | Rebtel
If you have an Android based phone, there are literally hundreds of apps designed to help you make calls. Of these, many allow free calls with WiFi. If you want to be able to call family and friends all over the world, free Wifi calling with Android may be your perfect solution.
Free WiFi Calling with Android and Google Voice
You can use a free SIP server and connect your PBX to Google voice after downloading it onto your Android phone. The tricky part of this type of service is correctly configuring the SIP server, but if you technically inclined this is a great way to make and receive free WiFi calls with Android.
Make Free WiFi Calls with Android and an App
You can also use an app to make free WiFi calls with Android. Some of the best include:
1. Rebtel for Android. This app allows you to make free WiFi calls with your Android to other Rebtel users on any device. You can also make cheap international calls and receive them. Rebtel for Android is free to download and easy to use; you don’t have to create usernames or separate contact lists - just use your phone’s regular address book. Rebtel operates by using your phone’s built in dialer and automatically connecting all your international calls through Rebtel.
2. Vopium for Android. This allows Wi-Fi calling so you can call other Vopium users, Skype users and Gtalk users for free if you are both online. Calls to all other phones are offered at very low calling rates, even if they do not have Vopium installed. Setting up an account is easy, and you can also chat with your Facebook friends and contacts on Skype, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk, AIM, Yahoo, ICQ and Twitter although this does use up your data plan.
3. Fring allows calls and chat and video calling, and lets you add other communication services from AOL to Google Talk as well as connecting with your phone book. Of course, the other party needs to have Fring on their phone for you to get free WiFi calling with Android (also works on other types of phones so your friends don‘t have to have Android phones).
Their newest feature is being able to video call with up to four people at a time - again, data charges do apply for video calls.
4. It takes two to Tango, but if you and those you call most often both have the Tango Android app, you can make voice or video calls using your Android phone using WiFi or 3G (data charges do apply to 3G video calls.)
5. If you install Viber, it scans your address book, connecting you with other Viber users instantly. Your user ID is your phone number. You can make free calls over WiFi on your Android phone to other Viber users, and also send SMS.
You don’t have to have an iPhone to keep in touch. Free WiFi calling with Android is simple, as long as you have a well designed application that works as advertised!
Share this article