International texting apps can be a must have, whether your favorite / carry-everywhere / sleep with it on your pillow / can’t live without it smartphone is an iPhone or an Android. Without international texting apps, text charges can easily spiral shoot through the stratosphere, incurring enormous charges and hampering your ability to stay in real time touch with friends and family in other countries.
Sign up today & get 100 international SMS for free!
International Texting Apps from the iPhone App Store
The iPhone app store provides several international texting apps.
- HeyWire is a free app, but has several distinct limitations. The texts are significantly slower - trying to carry on a conversation can take 5 minutes or more for each text - and you have to be assigned a special text number to find friends on the application‘s network.
- Text-for-free is a 99 cent app that allows you to send SMS/MMS message for free - as emails. Live video streaming is also available. The main problem with this app is that it adds steps and eats your data plan.
- Rebtel 2.0 is an international texting app for the iPhone that can save users over 60% when used for international texts. Rebtel makes international texting inexpensive is by creating a local number to route texts through, so you only get charged by your mobile carrier for a local text (for example, TracFone charges .3 minutes per text, some carriers charge 3 cents, and others have a flat number of texts allowed per month, in which case 1 text is deducted). Rebtel charges a small fee (between 2.9 and 5.5 cents per SMS) for the international text - compared to carriers like AT&T, which charges 25 cents per international SMS!
International Texting Apps for other Devices
- WhatsApp is an international text messaging app for smartphones including the iPhone, Android and BlackBerrythat works with WiFi and allows text, images and video to be sent - but again, is really a glorified chat option that uses the data plan.
- Viber allows users to call or text any Viber user, anywhere in the world, for free. Viber integrates seamlessly with existing address books, has great sound quality and is easy to use - the catch, again, is that this app crunches through your data plan.
- Google Voice or Skype have international calling apps for iPhones and Android, but again use a data connection to send and receive texts internationally . Dozens of other international texting apps exist, but they all have some flaw or another - many are simply chat applications on mobile, which means they must have a data connection and this can be very expensive even if an unlimited data plan is in place. In some cases, the apps are simply forwarding services that turn the text into an email where you have to access it.
- Rebtel has international texting apps for Android phones, Windows Phone, your PC, and will even work on non-smartphones so you can send cheap SMS from anywhere on almost any device. All you have to do is enter your phone number with Rebtel, then the numbers of your friends and family. Rebtel will create local numbers for each one, making sending international texts cheap and easy.
International texting apps can help you keep from going over the limit of your data plan, and save you tons of dough on pay per text plans. Download one today and start saving!